Real Estate in Old West Country
Spanning over 7,600 square miles, Owyhee county is the second largest county in Idaho and is the ancestral home of the Northern Paiute, Western Shoshone, and Bannock peoples. On December 31, 1863, Owyhee County became the first county organized by the Idaho Territory making it one of the oldest counties as well. In those days the area was largely of interest due to mining, and railroads which brought industry into the region via booming towns like Silver City.
In the modern day Owyhee county is no less vast and beautiful! As the urban concrete continues to creep across the valley many look to the South of Boise as a place of refuge where you can still find wide open spaces and plenty of elbow room.
Take a look at all of the homes and land available in Southwest Idaho and get in touch to start living in your dream home!
In 1887 the Froman Ferry was established to provide a crossing at the Snake River some two miles from where the current bridge exists. From there it wasn’t long until a school was created and irrigation was platted for the town which was called Butte, until later being renamed to Marsing after a local settler, and being incorporated in 1941. Today this quiet town acts as a gateway to the Owyhee wilderness where one can find miles of untamed land perfect for recreation of all kinds.
VIEW ALL MARSING IDAHO LAND FOR SALE HERE
The railroad brought the town of Murphy into existence back in 1899! The Boise,Nampa,Owyhee Railroad was poised to bring industry to the area thanks to the efforts of William Dewey but the plans to extend the rail to Silver City fell through when the mining industry turned out to not be as rich as thought. Likely named after the crew boss for the railway, Cornelius Murphy, the unincorporated village has the claim to fame today of being one of the smallest county seats in the nation as well as the best travel route to historic Silver City, Idaho!
VIEW ALL MURPHY IDAHO LAND FOR SALE HERE
Easily the biggest little town in Southwest Idaho’s Owyhee County! It wasn’t long after Jacob Mussel built a ferry crossing that the townsite was planned and the name for it was picked from a hat at a community picnic. Many Basque and Austrian settlers first moved to the area in the early 1900’s helping to grow the town through agriculture. Today Homedale Idaho remains a relatively small quiet town that draws people in who desire a taste of the country life while keeping touch with the modern world.
VIEW ALL HOMEDALE LAND FOR SALE HERE
Early settlers established cattle ranches on the north slopes of the Owyhee Mountains in the mid-1860s. One of the first buildings was moved from Silver City in 1882 and remodeled into the Oreana Hotel, and a post office late in 1885. In 1961, the historic general store was donated to the Roman Catholic Church and was repaired and remodeled into Our Lady, Queen of Heaven Catholic Church.
VIEW OREANA IDAHO LAND HERE!